Wednesday, September 14, 2011

And... Part Two

So I've been writing part two of the journey here for about a week and between losing drafts,
 limited internet access and fighting for the computer, I'm going to try again. I promise this is 
the last long and whiny post, from here on in it will be all good.

Premium economy was pretty sweet, more leg room which was a big bonus for the almost 
6 foot baby-daddy and drinks and snacks on demand.
The Melbourne to Hong Kong leg wasn't too bad, Sadie had her pj's on as we boarded and 
thankfully she slept at least 6 of the 8 (ish) hours that we were in the air. Most of that time 
she was asleep on me, not physically the most comfortable but I took comfort in the fact that she 
wasn't going anywhere and as much as I tried to sleep I couldn't manage any more than a few 10 minute catnaps. Before we got off the plane for our stop over the lovely flight attendant mad sure we were stocked  up with snacks as she informed us that there wasn't much open at HK airport at 5 a.m. 

It was lucky that our lovely flight attendant had taken care of us, because even if the stores had 
been open, we got stuck in customs, where our duty free alcohol was confiscated from us. I don't
 know why they hadn't sealed the bags in Melbourne but I didn't want to be detained so I stopped
 short of going bonkers in Honkers (of yeah I was that delirious).

So we quickly freshened up and before we had time to think we were boarding for the dreaded long leg.  A few drops of rescue remedy and I was as ready as I could be for the 12 hours from Hong Kong to London. At this point I had been awake for over 24 hours and was a little tired and emotional. I tried to read but words were all blurring into each other and after trying to read the same page 3 times, I attempted to watch a movie or two. No luck I would either doze off and miss 10 minutes of the story or someone would demand my attention. Pretty early on I resigned to the fact that this was going to be the longest 12 hours I could imagine and tried to visualise some paint to watch dry.

(now idea where in the world I am)

We finally touched down in London and I could feel my body aching but I was looking 
forward to a shower and a decent meal in the American Airlines lounge that we had been 
given passes to for our 6 hour wait for our next flight. 
As we were about to disembark from the plane we were surprised when the captain called out 
our names and told us there would be someone waiting for us at the gate. 
We knew this was going to be good news. Just what we wanted, they had managed to get us on the earlier BA flight to Lisbon which meant we had to whizz through the airport to get our connecting flight with just enough time to make sure our baggage was coming with us.
Finally after over 40 hours in transit we were in Lisbon, delirious I didn't know what I 
wanted most a shower, a decent meal or a comfy bed. 

(4 minutes of net time let, I suppose I will finish off with part three when I recharge my data package xoxo)
And just when I thought our holiday could finally start I heard the announcement that the final bag was on the turn-style, which was a problem seeing as P was the only one with his suitcase. 
I thought about downing my whole bottle of Rescue Remedy or throwing myself on the floor arms and legs  waving in the air like a two year old having a tantrum, but I had a little someone that I had to worry about so we took a number to wait our turn.
At this point we tried to buy a phone card to let the in-laws know why we were delayed because they were waiting on the other side for us but two phone cards and 20 euros later we had two cards that didn't work and an increasingly frustrated baby daddy. 
All I could think of was that if it hadn't taken so bloody long to get here I wanted to go home.
But I sucked it up and left P to sort out the bags as Sadie and I went to let the relo's know what was going on

No comments:

Post a Comment