Friday, June 25, 2010

TILT on Friday


THINGS I LOVE THURSDAY TODAY

GIRL POWER





K so I have to admit, I got caught up in the momentum yesterday and I may have shed a little tear when Julia Gillard was announced our new Prime Minister.
Our first female Prime Minister.

If I wanted to think about it, the circumstances aren't perfect, after all she has this position by default, and without knowing all the details I do question as to whether she betrayed, not only her boss, but possibly a friend. That is another issue in itself but I want to focus on the positive, on the fact that our new female Prime Minister was sworn in by our first female Govenor General. Girl Power all the way.
At the end of the day, I really don't care if it's a male or female running our country, when it comes to polititians I generally think you have to choose the lesser of two evils, so whoever makes our country a better place to live gets my vote.
What I do love is that I can bring up my daughter in a world where your gender or the colour of your skin are not a bigger representation of your ability than your IQ is.
I think my generation has done OK, but we grew up in the echoes of an era where women weren't treated equally and where you had to walk on different sides of the street. 
Shit, Apartheid only ended in 94 and from what's been going on in the AFL and NRL we still have a way to go, but we are getting there.
So YAY for women! YAY for minorities! 
YAY for unmarried redheads!
YAY for the weekend. Hope it's a good one.
And hey don't be shy, tell me your TILT



No comments:

Post a Comment